Sunday, June 5, 2011

First Volks!

Volks is one of the main BJD and garage kit companies out there and is well known for the quality of their resin. I've always loved Volks garage kits but the price for the BJDs have always frightened me away, though to be honest I'm not a big fan of their sculpts. However, amongst the ABJD community, Volks is on a pedestal and I jumped on a recent ebay auction for an old damaged Volks MSD. I have no intentions of keeping her though. I really just want her to see if I can bring a doll back from sun damage and mistreatment.

So here are her box opening pics. I made a video but I'm having trouble uploading. I will update with it soon.

She is a Volks Megii in Oldskin. She was made in October 2002. Here is her box with all the papers. (Excuse my messy work table. Little Hani and Mars are peering out.)

Compared to my D.I.M. Happy girl (Peyton but she needs to be resculpted.)

She is definitely yellowed with some random weird blue stains.

She isn't missing any toes, but her pinky toes are sculpted so that they curl underneath. This is normal for old volks dolls before they updated their body sculpt.

Random pink stains from body blushing and you can see the blue stains all over her body.

The seller did not mention the broken and repaired finger. I wish they did but considering I got it for such a low price, it's to be expected.

Her face is in okay shape. There is some staining and it looks like someone tried to sand her to remove her faceup where her eyebrows are. This is something that boggles my mind since there are much better ways to remove a faceup without marring the sculpt. Overall though, her face is intact and no features have been sanded away.
This is the interesting part. Looks like the previous owner (I'm the third) somehow let this get into their pet's maw. It's been chewed on and there is some sort of sticky substance on it.

All in all, not in that bad a shape. There are no magnets in the headcap so I will install some and try to reduce and even out her yellowing after I clean her up. This is a photo of her after I took off most of the dirt and old paint. As you can see, no need to sand off the paint. Just use some Winsor Newton Brush cleaner. You can also see the discoloration. From what I can tell she was posed in a sitting position with her right side toward the window as her right side is much more yellowed than her left side. She was pretty much kept nude as her yellowing exist all over her body and it's pretty obvious it is from sun exposure. Her back is almost unyellowed except by the minute light bounced back from whatever surface was behind her. You can see that her armpit and inside of the headcap is pristine since there was no light exposure while everything else is yellow. Let this be a lesson to everyone. Keep your dolls away from light! I can't understand why someone would spend $400 on a doll and not keep it in good condition.



2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is a lot of yellowing! I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do with her. It amazes me that someone would spend so much and then not take care of their dolls. At least she wasn't treated to a sharpie face-up though!
    I love your blog and it was great to meet you today!
    :)

    ReplyDelete