Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Commission Update - Unoas Part 1


So I was finally able to ship out some heads to their owners today. The Unoas are gone and so is Amethsyt. Here is the progression for the four Unoas from L.K.

UNOAs (L.K.)

I met L.K. through ebay since she bid on and won one of my large painted eye Obitsus. It makes me very happy to know she liked my work enough to commission me to work on four Unoa faceplates. They arrived with two of them still in unopened packages. Here is what they look like all lined up.




So cool! As you can see these are kit heads which means you have to remove flash and seamlines yourself. The most difficult flash to remove was the bit in between Lusis' lips since the space is so tiny. Just make sure you have brand new blades on your craft knife and some fine sand paper to smooth out the lines.

Here are the faceplates cleaned off. Bully Sist and Normal Lusis have been sprayed with two coats of MSC and are prepped for painting while Normal Sist and Wink Lusis are cleaned but bare.


L.K. was also kind enough to let me do whatever I wish for the heads. I have created some designs which have been approved. I'll surprise you guys with the designs as they are done ^__~.

8/30/2011- Here are some W.I.P. photos of the plates. Lusis is done and Bully Sist is in progress. I'm having a bit of an issue with flaking on the faceup when I use my kneadable eraser on them. I don't know if this is due to the super smooth resin not gripping the paint very well or something I did on my end. I'm going to do some experimentation and if I find that the faceup isn't holding up I will scrub them and redo them...I like how they look so far but I cannot send out faceups that chip. The other problem may be that the kneadable eraser is super super tacky because it's new and sticks to stuff like crazy. It's like taking masking tape to the faceup. The faceup holds up well to normal handling but yeah...not tape pls lol.


11/08/2011- I blushed and did some line-work on the other two plates. They are still W.I.P. even though they look like they may be done. The style is a fantasy style for all four. I asked if the owner wanted one that was natural but she said to do what I want so I am playing. ^__^



12/07/2011- I completed the gold and silver leaf application. It took a few days and although I like the effect, it's not a technique I will be using a lot considering the amount of time it takes. The end result does look different than what you can get with paint tho so I will be using more gold leaf in the future. Hopefully I will find a faster technique.


02/05/2012- Here is a shot of all four plates. As you can see I had wiped and redone both the Merry Moon plate as well as the White Swan plate. The decision for both was that the coloring and result did not convey my original design intentions.



Here is the original sketch for the plates. Both Merry Moon and White swan were designed to be very pale and delicate in coloration. White swan's feathers are supposed to be barely visible and she leans toward the peachy side in the conceptual sketch whereas the first faceup showed her with pink feathers. Merry moon's makeup came out stronger than I had intended and did not convey the cool glowy look that I wanted. Hopefully you can see that the changes I made brought the plates closer to the orginal concept.



No comments:

Post a Comment