Monday, March 14, 2011

Aili for St. Patrick's Day

So the reason I've been slower with painting doll heads or moogling is that I've been making doll clothes. I'm not super fast at hand sewing so that means it takes me about a week or a week and a half to complete a doll. (ie. Paint doll head, blush doll body and paint details, draft pattern and sew clothes.) It takes a while but I love the results. I'm super fond of Aili and I love the personality she exudes. I very much wanted her to be the tomboy who transforms into a beautiful and alluring lady. She succeeds...visually...she is still a tomboy at heart. For this reason Aili was painted without lipstick and no eyeliner. I lover her bare face and the slight smirk she has. As much as I don't want to play favorites, I feel like she completely upstages Lara. She's currently on ebay and I feel like given the time I spent on her, I'm posting her for a very low price. I hate to see her go because I would actually love to do another shoot with her. She's the first doll I've felt this way about as I usually do one shoot and I don't really have an idea for another one. This might be because I have clothes for her and she has a painted body. At any rate, the way I see it is that I will be making more dolls/characters that I will fall in love with so if Aili goes to a good home, I won't be lacking for dolls to photograph.

To be honest I've never thought of myself as being a photographer...or rather I was never someone who thought oh I want to get better at photography. I create a lot of visual imagery but I have always considered photography and collage and such to be my weaknesses or something I'm not particularly good at. However, with dolls I've found that it's much easier to create a controlled lighting situation than with a human since the scale is so much smaller. As a result I've really enjoyed taking photos of the girls. I only wish I had more backgrounds or props and clothing. Well all in good time.

Here is Aili in her St. Paddy's finery. I think her personality comes across as rather more complex that Lara's. I hope to create more dolls at this level and that ppl enjoy them and would wish to own them.

(I made everything except the base shoe, stockings, base doll and base head)



Ah, I have also updated my commissions page to include body blushing/painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment