Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Faceup Spree

I spent most of this weekend on doing faceups. Sometimes I just need a break from one project, so now that I've indulged my faceup yens and taken a bit of a break from sculpting, I will be heading full force back into sculpting.

In regards to my faceup skills, here are areas I need to improve in.

1. Crease Line
2. Lip Part Line
3. Top Eyelash liner.
4. Eyebrows are better now but still needs improvement
5. Lashes are better now but still needs improvement
6. I want to try for a cleaner very natural look and see if I can do it well

So here is the newly refaced CH Petite Juriel. Her head sculpt is skewed and I'm not sure if it is from the molding process or if the original sculpt is screwy. Either way, the shots here don't show it. It's most noticeable from a lower angle. Still, I don't really like the sculpt of her lips and I'm going to sell her after I finish body blushing her skin to match her face and making her a dress. The blue looks a bit cadaverish but I hope that doesnt scare ppl away from her. She is a snowflake fairy after all.



Today I finished my first set of twins, CH Juniors Ren and Rena. As I mentioned before, I hadn't realized they were the same sculpt when I purchased them since they only have one photo of Ren and he had bangs in his face. All the same, this is one of my favorite headsculpts from Custom House but also one of the hardest to paint. It may be the fault of a worn out mold, but the eye crease was very bumpy. This is a problem because the sculpt of the eye crease is very deep so it was hard to smooth out and painting a bumpy surface means wobbly lines. The mouth is super cute but also hard to paint due to the depth.

One thing I have noticed about CH sculpts (since I have so many) is that often times it is hard to change the mouth expression because of how they sculpt them. There is a ridge around the corners of the mouth so it looks weird if you don't follow the line. It's been mentioned before that it is hard to make Hani and Uri look happy instead of glum, and this is the same reason for Ren and Rena. I tried to make Rena smile a bit but I don't think it worked. Anyway, lots of room for improvement.

Ah, yes, I know that the twins have different coloration. Ren (Allen) is a blonde so his eyebrows are lighter and I made his skin more peachy/bronzey while Rena (Drew) is a brunette with more pink toned skin. They are fraternal after all and can't be expected to look identical.


Also, although I like her faceup better, I am going to sell Rena and replace her with a Yeondu. As much as I like the headsculpt and I love the CH body, I can't justify owning two of the same sculpt.

Okay guys, so the rest of this week I will mostly be sculpting. No more faceups unless it's a commission.

1 comment:

  1. "Eyebrows are better now but still needs improvement"

    I wish I could draw eyebrows like you, they're so beautiful! *-*

    ReplyDelete