Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Commission Review - Iplehouse - Doria NS

Iplehouse is one of the best known companies for realistic sculpts. Although they have a slight range in their style, it is more realistic than most companies out there. They also have one of the widest ranges of resin colors to choose from although they still stick fairly close to realism with different shades of skin tones instead of fantasy colors like Soom or ResinSoul. I think this is a fairly smart move on their part because they offer all the realistic skintones on a normal basis and the market is heavily geared toward real skin tones with a fairly strong but much smaller market for fantasy colors. When Iplehouse does produce a grey doll once in a while, the skintone is still quite popular but never as popular as one of the realistic skintones.

This July, I was commissioned to paint a Doria in NS. This was an interesting commission to me because it's not one of the run of the mill natural faceups. While I enjoy working hard to bring realism to a sculpt, I like to try new things and problem solve as well.

The owner sent me a photo of the makeup look and pretty much wanted it reproduced closely. It's a design that cannot be accomplished without an aibrush since it calls for a blue-white blended eyeshadow. No amount of layering pastels is going to produce a satisfactory result so this commission shows why I decided to invest in an airbrush.

Here's a look at the photo my client D.H. sent next to the final result.


More below the cut....

Fairly close no? I added very faint crease lines around the bottom eyelid and gave her a warm ocherish color for the inner upper lid. I couldn't see what was going on there in the reference photo but I wanted to add some interest to the upper lid instead of having just a stark blue-white and red look.

Here's a look at the head from different angles.



I kept the blushing very light but the color is more of a neutral deep red so it doesn't distract from the eyes and lips. In faceups as well as makeup, it's best not to try to emphasize everything or you will end up not highlighting anything and go overboard. I kept the skin looking like she was wearing makeup so the blushing is quite barebones.

I really like how she turned out and I'm very very curious to see how the owner ends up presenting her.

Here is her time chart:

Yep...7 hours lol. SD sized heads take longer than smaller heads due to the amount of detail I can add compared to smaller heads. I tend to use more colors and add more line details. Painting red lips also take longer than natural lips because getting a smooth gradient on the lip is very time consuming and difficult. The results are so worth it tho.

Glossing super glossy lips take about 4 layers of gloss for that ultra shiny wet look. I particularly like this look on dark lips but if you guys have noticed I tend to like leaving natural lips only partially glossed or even matte. I also like matte red lips as well but so far no one has asked for this lol. One day I might do it on my own but I just really like the super shiney red lip look.

2 comments:

  1. She's amazing! I chanced upon your blog and I have to say you're really skilled!

    ReplyDelete