Friday, August 16, 2013

Commission Review - Fairyland Pukipuki Sugar & Ruby - NS

In July, I was commissioned for the largest range in BJD sizes I have ever painted. My commissions included 1/2 size This Alice from Spiritdoll, 1/3 sized Minimee and Iplehouse EID,  two smaller 1/4 sized MSDs and a YoSD and finally two Pukipuki faces. It was quite the experience to see the 1/2 size head next to a pukipuki. Unfortunately I was not able to get a photo of them together since I completed the 1/2 size head and had her on her way home as I was starting on the pukipukis. Next time this happens, if it ever does I'll snap a shot for you guys to compare.

As for pukipukis, I have to say I don't get a lot of practice on this scale so I'm not as good as I am on the larger heads. There was a point when I was customizing obitsus and I could only paint at this scale but that was two and a half years ago and my skills went pooof! Anyway, here are the darlings. They are super cute at this scale.


More under cut

I still like how they turned out because the expressions were a bit stern before the repaint. Ruby came with her gothy default faceup and Sugar had a very well done custom. The only problem was that Sugar's freckles made her look dirty so the owner wanted her redone with just some beauty marks. Sugar is a bit yellower and darker than Ruby because I think FL has changed their resin formula within the past year or two. The older resin seemed darker to me but it might just be yellowing.

The request was for very natural looks. The owner didn't like the dark eyeliner on her girls since they are supposed to be kids. She wanted Sugar with beauty marks and Ruby with some freckles across her cheeks and nose. Sugar is supposed to have light brownish hair and Ruby is a pouty redhead. She didn't want ruby to be overly pouty tho so I kept her expression soft with curved eyebrows. Ruby is a little redhead so I kept her blushing more towards the pink and pale end and gave Sugar a more robust complexion.

In the middle of the commission, after I sent the owner shots of the freckles on Ruby, she asked if it was possible to erase the freckles on the cheeks and just contain the freckles to the nose bridge...now normally this is a no no. I paint freckles with acrylic and I can't really change things after I put it down. However since I hadn't sprayed another layer of acrylic on top yet I was able to buff off the unwanted freckles with a magic eraser. Just so everyone knows tho, this was not a mistake on my part but a change of heart on the owners part. This would normally incur an extra charge for a change like this but since it was easily remedied, I let it slide. I don't recommend removing painted detail because too much buffing will buff away blushing which means restarting the entire faceup.

Here are their time charts.


So approximately 2.25 hours each~! Not too bad but as you see even tiny faceups take a while. I have to admit I am not that good at this size yet but I hope to get better!

No comments:

Post a Comment