Sunday, October 16, 2011

W.I.P. RS Mei (Eden) for Samantha T.

Yes I'm alive. Here is a W.I.P. shot of Eden for those who don't check the W.I.P. page. ^__^






Eden (Samantha)

I own many RS dolls and I love most of the facial sculpts so I was really happy to be commissioned to work on Samantha's NS Mei, Eden. Eden is quiet and shy with the usual grace of her elven lineage. The request was for a fairly natural look but with a bit more drama around the eyes and pinkish but natural lips. The colors should remain in the earthy range but with a hint of green to signify her otherworldly heritage.

10/6/2011

The first thing I did for Eden was to clean her off. As you can see she came with a default faceup from RS, but there is quite a bit of chipping as well as staining. Whatever paint RS used stained a little bit so I scrubbed her down three times with Winsor & Newton brush cleaner and then lightly buffed off the stained areas.


10/16/2011
RS NS color is a very very pale pinkish color, so I stayed mostly in the pink toned range for shading and blushing. Here are some W.I.P. shots of her. I have yet to color in eye rims and gloss since I need a go ahead. I rather like how she turned out. I did take some liberty with her eyebrows though so we'll see if those get nixed and I have to redo her lol.




The other thing I might have to do for her is to round out her eye wells. As they are, they actually block the curve of the eyeballs so it is very hard to get them positioned correctly. You can see the gapping in the pictures. I'll see if Samantha would like me to fix this.

EDIT: So Samantha made a mistake when she filled out the faceup preferences form and requested light brown instead of dark brown eyebrows. As it turns out she would prefer straight brows instead of the stylized brows i did so I will be redoing this faceup from scratch. In the meantime , she gave the go ahead for the eyewells to be opened up a bit. I only did the right eyewell for now but I have pics! These are to show you how the eyewells were obstructing proper eye positioning before.




It isn't perfect right now but it's much better. No matter what you do there will always be gapping with eyeballs because they are an irregular shape and not a perfect sphere. The other thing these pics show is how well the faceup holds up. lol. The bald patch on the brow was me trying to sand off the brow but that took more work than i realized. The sanding didn't look good at all so I will restart the faceup from scratch. There were no chips or rubs sustained while I was knocking around in the head. I'm now confident that my faceups can withstand a little bit of knocking around. Just don't go around scratching it with metal tools.

3 comments:

  1. WOW! She is absolutely LOVELY!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh,lord,she's so gorgeous! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I like her a lot as well. Mei is such a beautiful sculpt. However I will be cleaning her off. I think (hope) I will get better and better. Seeing a new face always makes me happy. The owner asked for different eyebrows so we'll see how much her personality changes with the new look.

    ReplyDelete