Thursday, February 24, 2011

Giant Heads!...

Well, relatively.... I got a nice package from Emory again. This guy is fast! His store is on the West coast but I normally get the package three days after I place an order. Besides the wonderful gifts that Emory included (full size Pocky and cute Monchhichi) I finally got an Obitsu body in White Skin and it's the 27cm Small soft bust version. I also got the Natural Skin 27cm in Large bust. Let me tell yah...it's hooooooge. Unnaturally so, but sometimes you just have a character that needs melons like that. I also ordered some baldies to paint as well as a Dollzone BB July head in WS and an Obitsu Gretel head. They are 1/6 (BJD size) and 1/3 size respectively. Here are some pics to compare the sizes with a normal 1/6 Obitsu head Type 01 (F01NC07).

Photobucket
This is the Dollzone BB head. It is supposed to be 1/6 scale but to be honest since they make 1/6 BJDs as kid shapes but scaled in terms of adult size, this is really more like 1/4 toddler size. I've discovered I don't like Dollzone noses. I know they are one of the most popular companies but the nose on this fella is not pretty. It borders on piggish. Perhaps they aren't all sculpted this way but I can see that there are similar characteristics between most Dollzone noses. (In general I'm in love with Dollzone dolls. I want a NS Aurora but she's too expensive for me.)

Photobucket

This is the 1/3 size Gretel. I feel like the sculpt has a weird pushed in nose bridge. Maybe mine is deformed. Who knows. But I like it in photos. I got these guys because I need to see what working at a bigger scale is like, so in a week or two we'll see if I can pull these off!

So I've been scheming and planning. I don't have a lot to show yet but I can show you sketches of the girls I plan to paint next. I'm most excited about...


She ain't pretty but she is so coool!! I was going to paint her right away after Llewyn but after analyzing her hairline, I realized she needed some rooting to make her just right. I know I shouldn't spend so much time on just one head, but Ace is pretty special to me and I want her to be great! I'm using the Type03 head in NS with dark brown hair. Since I'm getting a male head with dark brown hair from Emory soon I thought I'd wait and cut the hair off him for Ace. The reason why I don't want to paint the face before I root is because I'm afraid of ruining the paint job with the pulling and tugging.

So instead of Ace, I will be painting this girl. She will be the one on the Large bust body...can you see it?


Let me also include a sketch of Llewyn. This is just to show how the final product really doesn't end up looking like the concept sketch. This is because the face is kind of predetermined by the headsculpt. You can always fudge some things, but you can' only push it so far. I also tend to change my mind as I'm working on a face because I want to try new things. With Llewyn I knew I wanted to try bigger eyes than I have done on realistic faces so that part pretty much stayed the same. However her lips and lashes did change as did the iridescent floral detail. (Note: She is an Obitsu Type 02 head which means her eyeballs are not defined allowing me to make her eyes bigger than I would be able to on the Type 01 or 03. However, her lip sculpt is for thinner lips so I was not able to make fuller lips than what she has.)


Oh....and yes I did work on a head. I couldn't help myself. This is Drew. She is the doll for St. Patrick's Day! I guess it's a little hard to tell what makes her Irish right now but hopefully it'll all come together. She is still a WIP. There's no sketch for her. I just wanted to do an Irish girl. Oh yah, she is also my first freckled girl! I've been wanting to try freckles. I think it came out ok. Next time maybe I'll be more heavy handed. The flash washes things out. We'll see when I take better photos if she looks ok.



She looks a little too young for my liking but I think this is due to the round cheeks of the face sculpt. The limited sculpts from Obitsu is getting to me now. I didn't consider this when I first started painting heads but now I find myself looking elsewhere for different headsculpts to play with. I have ordered some from Triad Toys as well as Dollsfigure to see how the quality holds up. They'll be here in about two weeks I hope.

Oh, um for anyone reading this, please say hi! I would love to meet you guys. Most of my followers right now (4 out of 5...hangs head in shame) are my friends in RL who I begged to follow me and have no real interest in dolls. Thank you Jangalian for following me!!!

3 comments:

  1. The big doll-head reminds me of Ayumi Hamasaki http://jpopcdcovers.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/a-best-2-black-01.jpg

    xDD

    Your sketches are really nice, love the 2nd one ^-^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hyony. I'm glad you're still reading. Sorry I haven't updated the moogle in a while. But he will be done before the middle of March.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *-* So fast? Can't wait to see that little Cutie ^-^

    ReplyDelete