Saturday, April 13, 2013

How To Prep.....Buff

Hey everyone!

So I find that I like to write informative posts more than just posting pretty photos. I think ppl find that more interesting as well. I've been wanting to do a few how to posts so I will start the first one. I know everyone likes to see a how to paint tutorial but I think it's best to start at the ground and do some How To Prep tutorials first because before you can paint, you need a good surface!

In a perfect world we can skip the chores and get right to the fun part but perfection isn't interesting so we have to do chores. The finish of the resin does not indicate poor resin quality. It's just a matter of the type of resin used and the type of mold release and additives. Even reputable companies produce shiny resin that is not ideal for paint. Shiny surfaces tend to be very smooth while the velvety textured resins have a bit of tooth to them that allow paints to grip on more securely. Companies I have come across with very smooth resin surfaces are, 5stardoll, ResinSoul, ImplDoll and surprisingly, Elfdoll and Alchemic Labo Unoa.

So what does shiny resin look like?




As you can see, this Elfdoll Mir head is highly reflective. He looks all sweaty! So time for exfoliating. The best way to reduce shine and to add subtle texturing is to use a wet "magic eraser" Some resins are softer than others and will buff out more easily. The Elfdoll Mir has particularly hard resin and required a lot of elbow grease and time. 

Using a bit of pressure, buff the entire surface of the head in a circular motion. Pay attn to hard to reach areas around the eyes, nose, ears and mouth. The buffing will not cause any noticeable detail erosion because the sponge is too soft and the abrasion is very slight.



Above, you can see he is noticeably less shiny!

And that's all there is to it. I normally buff any head that does not have a satiny velvet texture to it already. Most resin responds more easily than Elfdoll resin does and is not as shiny to start with. Considering the time it takes to prep certain heads, I will start charging to buff overly shiny heads. It took me at least half an hour to buff one head up. For normal heads that only take 2-3 minutes or so to buff up, there will be no charge of course.

Is it necessary? Yes, if you want your faceup to last and I cannot offer my services if I cannot ensure they hold up to handling. And yes, I have experienced major chipping due to a shiny un-buffed unoa faceplate just from using a kneadable eraser to remove some pastel.

I have another Elfdoll head on my commission list that I noticed was also very shiny....T^T

Next up, Cleaning....





No comments:

Post a Comment